First off, I want to thanks everyone who guest-posted in my absence - Chally, Renee, meloukhia, Recursive Paradox, Amanda, and Phira. Here are their posts:
The name's the thing
Elaine Benes and Feminism: Yadda Yadda Yadda
Thomas Jefferson: The Face of a Rapist
Plumbing the depths of privilege
Language: why "retarded" and "lame" are not okay
Much Ado about Dollhouse
How to be an ally
Thank you. You more than stood in with content I wish I’d written during my absence. Thank you.
So, where do I stand now?
Things are not just going to go back to normal. This is obvious – I haven’t posted since Monday. My capacity to engage has decreased because my time has decreased.
I’m also trying to make my ego a little leaner. I’m less interested in hits and more in conversation, learning, and improving my writing.
I believe that blog entries will be shorter. I’m a verbose lady, but I’m trying to cut it down a bit. I need to spend less time writing and more time editing. I’m hoping to keep entries under 500 words. Substantially analytical pieces will probably be less frequent, and there will be more in the way of pointing you towards awesome things.
My bloggin’ muscles are a little weak right now, so I may be more prone to slip-ups and myopic content. I intend, as always, on critiquing every model of every vehicle of the patriarchy, but this is still a blog written by me and is thus still centered around the experiences of a woman with lots and lots of privilege. As always, call me on it. I try to react to privilege checks with humility. If I don’t respond right away, I’m probably processing.
Specific shifts in content:
- 50 Books for Problematic Times returns on Monday, hooray! There are only 15 spots left, so get your submissions in quick if you want them. I’m going to start off with 3/week, but I’ll see how it goes. I want to get a similar project started when 50BPT wraps up. More later…
- Deeply Problematic is hosting the Carnival of Feminists! Read more about that here.
- Engagement in other spaces - Twitter and comment sections in particular - will be much less active. Both are very worthwhile modes of dialogue, but neither my schedule nor my writing style are suited to either of them - and I need to save my content for here! I will continue to use both selfishly for promotions – you’ll see me in the all the usual self-promotion posts, and I’ll use a service to ship my blog updates to my Twitter.
- Daily roundups will probably not continue, but will be posted on a whenever I feel like it basis.
- Weekly features will continue, but will most likely be on a semi-weekly basis. As in, posts about music will always be on Monday, but Monday will not necessarily bring posts.
- In an effort to keep my work and my personal time separate, I will be signing off the Internet every day at 7 pm EST. Comments left after that will be moderated the next morning.
- Comments will continue to be moderated. I’m going to develop a policy as necessary, but generally I’ll screen out ad hominem attacks and slurs. Critique, of course, will continue to go up.
Thanks to everyone for their kind comments on part one. I'm looking forward to the next chapter.